Senior Sewer Refund

Did you know that seniors aged 65 and over, who live in their own condominium, townhouse or co-op unit are entitled to receive a $50 rebate for their share of the associations’ sewer costs?

Here’s how: You must be 65 years or older; you must be the sole owner or owner in joint tenancy or tenancy in common; you must occupy the property as your principal place of residence and you must own a townhouse, condo unit or co-op apartment that shares a common water bill.

Seniors who have applied for this over the years received a letter from the City of Chicago asking for a signature to re-confirm residency.

So, if you haven’t received the rebate before, you will need to file an application form.  You will need to submit the application form, along with copies of the following three (3) documents: (1) water bill from your property or complex; (2) Second Installment property tax bill (2016) showing Senior Tax Exemption; and (3) driver’s license or State ID.

The Senior Citizen Sewer Charge Refund Application form must be completely filled out and submitted to your Alderman, (48th Ward, Harry Osterman, 5533 N. Broadway, Chicago, IL 60640). If you apply by mail, DO NOT send originals, only COPIES.

An online version of the application can be found on the Chicago City Council’s website.

Questions can be sent to Jerry Goodman, or 773.784.5277.

Letters and/or forms with the required attachments are due in the Alderman’s office by July 1, 2018.